Ideas on publishing/hosting a mirror of a blocked website

Hi,

What is a recommended way of hosting or creating a mirror of a website that is blocked in a country. Any suggestions are greatly welcome.

Do you have any restrictions, special needs? The first and straightforward way is to set up a reverse proxy for the website, for example, with nginx.

It is for a Joomla website.

Something like this.

Not sure if it’s what you’re looking for, but there are some (paid) hosting services that are supposed to provide high availability (by deploying mirrors, proxies, etc.). I don’t have personal experience with how well they work.

Depending on how much control you have over the server, and how targeted the blocking is, Geneva has a post/paper on server-side evasion.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I am trying to find an “easy” way to set a mirror of a website.
@ValdikSS If I set a reverse Nginx proxy where shall I point they proxy to? Wouldn’t that proxied IP not get blocked too?

The reverse proxy has to be located outside the censor’s zone of control. That way there is an uncensored path between the reverse proxy and the original web site.

There are some third-party proxies that can sometimes be used to get around simple blocks. (Won’t work with sites requiring login, etc.) For example,